Publishing Your Website Using iWeb
iWeb 09 has changed the way it publishes sites for the better. Just follow the configuration settings below and you will be able to publish your website. After you have completed configuring the settings will be able to publish your site with just one button click. This new publishing method will cut down the amount of steps from over ten down to just one!
Configuring the "Site Publishing Settings"
- First click on the site you are interested in publishing. In this case I clicked on the globe icon with the title "Publishing Demo".
- Select "FTP Server"
- Verify your site name is what you want
- Enter in your contact email address
- Enter in "www.orecity.k12.or.us" as the server address
- Enter in your username
- Enter in your password (same as for logging into your computer, and checking your email)
- Enter in "staff/username", so for instance "staff/michael.clark"
- Then just enter in your website URL. It is a good thing to know this by memory as this address can be used to navigate directly to your site without having them click through a bunch of links on school or district websites. Your url is going to be the same as shown, just enter in your name at the end in the "first.last" format. For example http://staff.orecity.k12.or.us/first.last
Publishing your site
The last thing to do is click back on one of your pages and click on the "Publish Site" button (see image below). This will publish your site and a window will come up asking if you would like to view it. Next time you need to update your site simply pressing this button will take care of it. No more connecting to server, no more choosing your name from the sharepoint, etc.
Please note that when you make a change in iWeb, like deleting a page, it will automatically try and delete the page on the webserver as well.
Do you have a tutorial you'd like to contribute? Anything not clear in this tutorial? Have any ideas on how this tutorial could be better? Want to share your experience? Feel free to contact Michael Clark at ext. 8922 or email email@example.com with your feedback.
Oregon City School District is an equal opportunity educator and employer.