Top Five Reasons for Students to Ride the School Bus
1. Increased Safety! Riding the school bus is nearly 800% safer* than traveling by passenger car. In fact, school busses are the safest* form of transportation.
School buses also help keep our campuses and neighborhoods safer. Each additional passenger car adds congestion and danger for all students on or near school grounds.
2. It saves money! It saves families from having to buy additional and expensive gas and reduces our dependence on foreign oil.
3. It’s Green! It serves as a good example to our children about the importance of keeping our planet healthy. Each year school buses help keep an estimated 17.3 million cars* off the roads surrounding schools each morning!
4. Reduced congestion! Most school parking lots are already well over capacity. With additional students going to our middle schools we are expecting increased congestion. In many cases students who ride the bus will arrive home before their peers that get picked up in a passenger car.
5. Student downtime! Students can enjoy time with friends, listening to music or reflecting on their day. Our transportation department is committed to ensuring a physically and emotionally safe environment on each bus. Our bus drivers have been trained in the Positive Behavior Support program that each school uses.
If you have any questions feel free to call the transportation department at 503-785-8540.
Oregon City School District is an equal opportunity educator and employer.